This position assumes responsibility of the education department and hospital wide competencies.
JOB SPECIFIC RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Coordinates clinical staff orientation programs with HR.
• Acts as resource and nursing advocate in the planning, development, implementation and evaluation of all contact hour educational activities.
• Maintains staff educational files.
• Participates in hospital committee meetings as assigned.
• Ensures problems/concerns regarding activities in the hospital/department are communicated appropriately.
• Educates patients, families and significant others regarding treatment, tests, special procedures, medications and safety.
• Initiates and conducts emergency measures (including CPR) required to stabilize patient’s condition.
• Actively participates in development and assessment of patient care issues as they relate to Performance Improvement activities for the department.
• Demonstrates ability to understand and react effectively to unique/special needs of adolescents, adults, and/or elderly patients.
• Demonstrates leadership, communication and teaching skills.
• Practices appropriate infection control and isolation techniques to maintain a safe environment and control the spread of infection.
• Participates in performance improvement activities.
• Initiates emergency measures in event of disaster or threat to facility as per emergency plans and protocols.
• Seeks the assistance of the Chief Clinical Officer regarding areas of concern or conflicts with families, co-workers or patients in a professional proactive and courteous manner.
• Demonstrates ability to serve as a patient advocate; demonstrates compassion and empathy with patients and their families.
• Orchestrates annual competency assessment skills fair and validation.
• Performs other duties as assigned.
• Participates in DNV Compliance activities.
• Provides an annual needs Assessment annually and provides education accordingly
• Participation in professional development council.
• Provides formal education to nursing and allied health staff.
• Participates in ongoing professional development related to the Educator role.
• Coordinates Nurse Internship Program.
• Coordinates Nurse Preceptor Program.
• Operates within hospital policies and procedures, and assists with forms and policy updates.
• Manages Nursing and Allied Health School Affiliations
• Serves as a CNE resource to the Approved Provider Unit and others as needed.
• Remain current on ANCC/TNA criteria/guidelines.
• Advocates for resources – human, material, and financial – to ensure the Approved Provider Unit meets its goals related to quality outcomes and nursing professional development.
• Ensures the Approved Provider Unit is in compliance with all applicable federal, state, and local laws and
regulations that impact the organization’s ability to meet ANCC/TNA criteria and maintain the Approved Provider Unit.
• Schedules, coordinates and promotes educational/CEU activities to support ongoing RN professional development.
• Works with Nexus Lead Nurse Planner for CEU presentations approval, and program recordkeeping compliance.
• Assists the Continuing Nursing Education Planning Committee in identifying the Nursing audience within each facility for each activity.
• Experience in Performance Improvement
• Prefer experience in management with regards to supervising, managing, and working with a variety of people on an individual and group basis
• BSN Preferred
• Continuing education in the area of nursing practice
• Current licensure to practice as a Registered Nurse in the State of Texas
• Current AHA BLS/CPR, ACLS, and PALS
• SAMA Certification or must obtain within 90 days of hire.