Under the Nurse Manager/House Supervisor’s direct supervision, the ICU RN provides direct nursing care
in accordance with the laws governing nursing practice and hospital policy.
JOB SPECIFIC RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Provides patient care within the guidelines of the Nurse Practice Act of the BNE and hospital policies
• Demonstrates knowledge of the critically ill patients’/residents’ histories, current progress/practices, care requirements, and treatment goals.
• Performs head to toe assessment of each assigned patient within one hour from the beginning of
• Performs procedures basic to the general wellbeing of the patient.
• Identifies unsafe patient care practices and assumes responsibility for intervention. Documents when appropriate.
• Investigates all unfamiliar procedures, techniques, and medications (purpose, methods, and side
effects) before carrying them out.
• Prioritizes and organizes care that is given to each patient, using patient input when possible.
• Satisfactorily functions as a Team Leader or Team Member in Code Blue and Rapid Responses.
• Acts as a resource person and assists staff in the performance of their duties.
• Safely and effectively utilizes equipment in the provision of patient care and demonstrates
knowledge and skill in the following areas: high-risk medications, invasive procedures, high-risk equipment.
• Consistently collaborates with other staff members and assists them when needed.
• Demonstrates knowledge and ability in procedures requiring moderate sedation or post-care.
• Follows protocols, best practices, and bundle guidelines.
• Complies with established medication policies and procedures, including the ten (10)
rights and legible documentation.
• Demonstrates competence in performing basic drug calculations and drip titration.
• Participates in patient rounds as required and completes team conference report.
• Accepts patient assignments within their scope, as directed by the Nurse Manager/House supervisor.
• Coordinates and oversees care delivered by Certified Nursing Assistants.
• Provides comprehensive patient handoff at the end of the shift.
• Actively seeks out opportunities for professional growth and development.
• Attends 80% of Nurse Education courses with Nexus Specialty Hospital.
• Attends at least 80% of all staff meetings.
• Actively participates in orienting/precepting of new employees.
• Possesses the ability to recognize changes in patient conditions and implements appropriate interventions.
• Completes documentation that reflects patient events, communication, status, and changes.
• Communicate with patients, patient’s family, staff, and physicians professionally and courteously.
• Participates as a nurse team member in the Quality Management System.
• Performs all other duties as assigned.
• Preferred minimum of at least two (2) years’ experience in acute care ICU or LTAC ICU setting.
Embody the personal talents of Genuineness, Ownership, Positivity, Teamwork, Innovation, and Compassion for working with our patients. This position serves as a member of the overall team and is required to maintain a positive attitude towards all team members, patients, residents, visitors, contractors, vendors, and others. This position must also function as a positive supporter of the company and facility policies and procedures following the lead of the management team and the administrative team—excellent verbal and written communication skills with exceptional attention to detail. The individual must be a self-starter, with critical thinking skills and teaching skills.