The Respiratory Therapist (CRT/RRT) is a professional caregiver who assesses, plans, implements, and evaluates Nexus Children’s Hospital’s patients’ respiratory status to ensure that patients and their families receive an optimum level of care. The Respiratory Therapist (CRT/RRT) must demonstrate knowledge of the principles of patient growth and development and possess the ability to assess data reflective of the patient’s status and interpret the appropriate information needed to identify each patient’s requirements relative to his or her age-specific needs and to provide the care needed as described in the department’s policies and procedures. Respiratory Therapist practices relationship-centered care in concert with Nexus Health Systems core values of compassion, integrity and demonstrates excellent customer service. The Respiratory Therapist (CRT/RRT) also works under the medical direction and the Director of Respiratory Care Services’ direct supervision. The Respiratory Therapist (CRT/RRT) is responsible for administering therapeutic and diagnostic procedures to patients with respiratory disorders, including patients requiring intensive care treatment.
JOB SPECIFIC RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Maintains awareness of current hospital and departmental operational policies and procedures which impact on position responsibilities.
• Administers medical gases, humidifiers, medications, and aerosols for therapeutic and diagnostic purposes.
• Safely manages patients with non-invasive or invasive ventilation.
• Prioritizes and plans all work steps to ensure success; considers time, supplies, and support required from other individuals and departments to set up a work plan and complete duties.
• Responds promptly to changes in workload, adjusting assignments as necessary to achieve optimal productivity and efficiency.
• Assist in the containment of hospital costs through the appropriate use of supplies’ recovery of patient charges, and conservation of supplies.
• Provides basic patient and family education.
• Follows verbal and written orders from physicians in administering drugs and medications to the cardiopulmonary system of patients.
• Documents complete patient assessment upon admission within the time frame per policy and initiate a plan of
• Evaluates treatment program, results, and takes appropriate action.
• Performs basic assessments and interpretation of Arterial Blood gases, Pulmonary Function Testing, EKG, and chest x-rays.
• Proficient in performing in emergencies calmly and with no other backup therapist if the situation arises.
• Evaluates patient response/outcomes to procedures performed, treatments, medication administration, and other aspects of the treatment plan.
• Recognizes changes in patient condition and initiates actives to facilitate appropriate responses.
• Communicates with the Director of Respiratory, physicians, and other team members regarding patient’s progress and/or change in condition.
• Communicates pertinent information regarding the patient’s progress and discharge planning needs to appropriate hospital and medical staff.
• Demonstrates the philosophy of teamwork, trust, and promotion to general welfare and co-operation with other employees.
• Participates as necessary in patient care conferences and weekly rehabilitation meetings.
• Records clinical documentation according to accepted regulatory, corporate, and professional guidelines.
• Completes reports and documents treatments according to facility policies.
• Adheres to the hospital infection control policies and OSHA guidelines, following universal precautions at all times.
• Professionally presents him/herself when representing the facility.
• Communicates with the Director of Respiratory Therapy regarding department programs, goals, objectives, problems, and successes.
• Resolves, with Director of Respiratory Therapy’s assistance, areas of concern or conflict with patients’ families, coworkers, or external customers in a professional, proactive, and courteous manner.
• Provides pertinent shift hand-off report to other members of the team.
• Complies with state regulations and national standards as they apply to the practice of Respiratory Therapy.
• Communicates effectively with professional colleagues.
• Records temperatures and performs laboratory maintenance equal participation to a coworker.
• Performs and records daily quality controls at the established intervals equal participation to a coworker.
• Ensures documentation and charging of resources/supplies.
• Covers the Woodlands campus when required.
• Performs and completes other duties as assigned.
The Respiratory Therapist consistently exhibits Nexus GOPTIC Core Values- Genuineness, Ownership, Positivity, Teamwork, Innovation, and Compassion . The Respiratory Therapist complies with quality standards and practices necessary to meet outcome targets for the Nexus Children’s Hospital patient population. This position serves as a core member of the overall Respiratory team and is required to maintain a positive attitude towards all team members, patients, residents, visitors, contractors, vendors, and others. Also, this position must function as a positive supporter of the company and facility policies and procedures at all times following the lead of the Respiratory Supervisor and team members. The individual must be a self-starter be attentive to details, with critical thinking skills, teaching skills, strong organizational, and interpersonal skills. Ability to communicate proficiently through technology (e.g., Electronic Medical Records (EMR), email, and so forth). Ability to handle difficult situations involving patients, physicians, or others professionally.