Nurse Practitioner (Friday, Saturday & Sunday) Pediatric / Psych Experience - Nexus Children's Hospital - Houston, TX
The Nurse Practitioner (NP) performs a variety of advanced clinical duties involved in assessing, treating, controlling, and preventing patient illness and disease within the facility. The NP provides general medical care and treatment to facility patients/residents under the direction of the medical director. The NP, independently and/or in collaboration with the treatment team, participates in the observation, assessment, diagnosis, intervention, evaluation, rehabilitation, care and counsel, and health education of patients/residents.
JOB SPECIFIC RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Ensures that services provided are consistent and within the guidelines of the Nursing Practice Act
- Obtains detailed history and performs physical examinations on assigned patients; assesses and treats acute/chronic medical problems and provides direct patient care to a specified patient population
- Performs emergency, life-saving procedures
- Notifies attending physician on call, house physician on call, or supervising physician regarding any unusual or unexpected events or problems requiring direct physician consultation
- Practices proper safety, environmental, and/or infection control methods
- Writes progress notes on patients’ charts indicating patient status and treatment procedures performed; maintains other records as required
- Enhances professional growth and development through participation in educational programs, current literature, in-service meetings, and workshops
- Performs complete physical and neurological exam of patients/residents by means of interview, health history, physical examination, and diagnostic tests
- Orders appropriate laboratory and diagnostic procedures; interprets results and intervenes appropriately
- Prescribes and administers medications in compliance with the Texas Physician Assistant Practice Act requirements and Facility guidelines
- Recommends and refers to institutional and community resources to meet patient and family needs
- Collaborates with physicians and other health care providers (within the facility and in the community) in managing acute and long-term medical needs of patients
- Provides monitoring and ensures continuity of care between physician visits
- Provides 24-hour medical call coverage on a rotating schedule
- Provides continuing education and serves as a resource to staff
- Discusses case with physician and other health professionals
- Submits health care plan and goals of individual patients for periodic review and evaluation by physician
- Prescribes or recommends drugs, as allowed per prescriptive authority, or other forms of treatment such as physical therapy, occupational therapy, etc.
- Attends admissions meetings
- Attends weekly treatment team meetings
- Performs other duties as assigned
- Master’s in nursing as NP or master’s degree in Nursing with completion of a post-masters Nurse Practitioner Certification Program.
- Preferably three (3) to five (5) years of experience in long term rehabilitation with neurobehavioral clients
Apply Here »
- Current Texas Licensure as a Registered Nurse
- Current Texas Advance Practice Registered Nurse licensure (APRN-NP)
- Certified in BLS Current certification and in good standing during employment
- Attend behavioral management and de-escalation techniques training as required by the facility.
- Certification in behavior management or related (SAMA, ABA, PIP, etc.)