Nexus Children’s Hospital in Houston, Texas is a child’s home away from home during recovery from complex medical issues following an acquired or traumatic brain injury, acute illness, chronic disease, or any other life-altering event. Our safe, nurturing pediatric environments provide individualized care in a family-focused setting. As the leaders in pediatric medical services and rehabilitation, Nexus Children’s Hospital treats children with primary medical issues who may also have secondary behavioral problems. Working with patients from infancy to age 21 who may have been unsuccessful in traditional rehabilitation environments, our flexible admissions criteria allows us to treat a wide variety of diagnoses.
At our pediatric facilities, you become part of our family as we’re mending minds.
Nexus Children’s Hospital announces a new partnership with Pediatrix Medical Group. Read the press release >>
Under the direct supervision of the Director Clinical Services, this position oversees patient diets in accordance with physician orders, coordinates and directs clinical nutrition services and education and ensures nutritional adequacy of patient menus. This is a PRN position.
Job Specific Responsibilities:
1. Conducts Nutritional assessments and monitoring per DNV guidelines.
2. Conducts nutrition education and in-service education to meet the needs of patients and staff.
3. Assesses the patient’s nutritional status and establishes goals for each patient within 72 hours of admission.
4. Provides appropriate educational in-service to dietary and nursing departments.
5. Communicates with all appropriate disciplines information regarding patient care on a regular basis.
6. Participates in patient team conferences.
7. Participates on appropriate committees as appointed.
8. Evaluates and approves patient menus and approves modified diets.
9. Instructs patients and their families on the nutritional needs for home and appropriate ways for achieving these as ordered by the physician.
10. Educates patient/family on food/drug interactions and documents appropriate notation of such in the patient medical record.
11. Documents all pertinent information regarding the patient’s nutritional care in the patient’s medical record in a timely and consistent manner.
12. Assists in planning and conducting appropriate performance improvement.
13. Develops and maintains department policies and procedures.
14. Operates within set departmental budget and implements cost-saving procedures.
15. Correlates dietary needs with laboratory findings on a consistent basis.
16. Collaborates with physicians regarding nutritional needs and suggestions.
17. Closely monitors patient weight to ensure goals of gain or loss are achieved.
18. Recommends and/or assists with specific nutritional patient measurements in order to evaluate more specific goals, i.e., calorie counts, pre-albumin/albumin monitoring, etc.
19. Allots extra time and problem-solving to children who fail to thrive, are picky eaters, have digestive problems, etc. to assist in improving nutritional status.
20. Ensures flexibility and creativity in methods developed to assist children in eating.
21. Performs other duties as assigned.
One (1) year of clinical experience, pediatrics preferred
• Bachelor’s of Science in Nutrition, Dietetics or related degree
• Master’s degree preferred
• Licensed Dietitian in the state of Texas
• Registered with the Commission on Dietetic Registration