The Charge Nurse works in collaboration with the Clinical Nurse Manager in the management of daily unit operations that may include: staffing, personnel management, environmental monitoring, discharge planning, performance improvement, risk management, short term problem solving and assumes accountability for the nursing unit in the absence of the Clinical Nurse Manager.
JOB SPECIFIC RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Ensures that quality patient care is provided in accordance with established patient care standards/protocols and policies.
• Assesses skill levels of staff in planning and coordinating the delivery of patient care.
• Ensures implementation of established priorities for the management of patient care and/or department activities on a daily basis.
• Distributes patient care and/or department responsibilities to staff, as appropriate according to nursing skills and patient acuity.
• Collaborates with health team members to ensure the achievement of patient care goals.
• Monitors cleanliness, infection control, and safety of the unit environment and patient rooms.
• Acts as a clinical resource for peers and subordinates (i.e., accepting a clinical assignment when required).
• Function as an EMR superuser.
• Assists with the selection of candidates for available positions as requested/desired.
• Ensures compliance with required reports, documents, records, and files on a daily basis.
• Works to maintain an environment that promotes a high level of morale, motivation, and skill among personnel.
• Reports variances in operations to the Clinical Nurse Manager promptly.
• Assists the Clinical Nurse Manager in justifying budget variances by providing information as needed.
• Adjust the department’s staffing, meeting projected case mix, census, acuity levels, and emergency situations.
• Assists in communicating department based productivity plans to department personnel in a positive and supportive manner.
• Resolves conflicts in a professional manner.
• Uses appropriate chain of command in providing information on pertinent changes, concerns, or problems relating to patient care and/or department operations.
• Provides feedback to the Clinical Nurse Manager regarding subordinates’ job performance.
• Assists nurses in caring for patients as identified/requested.
• Completes information for FLASH and TEAM conference
• Completes Nurse Productivity and Midnight Census
• Assists Clinical Manager with audits (Hand Hygiene/Quality Care)
• Performs other duties as assigned.
Embody the personal talents of Genuineness, Ownership, Positivity, Teamwork, Innovation, and Compassion for working with our patients. This position serves as a member of the overall team and is required to maintain a positive attitude towards all team members, patients, residents, visitors, contractors, vendors, and others. This position must also function as a positive supporter of the company and facility policies and procedures following the lead of the management team and the administrative team—excellent verbal and written communication skills with exceptional attention to detail. The individual must be a self-starter, with critical thinking skills and teaching skills.
Charge nurses must generally possess excellent skills in communication, organization and leadership. They must also be competent in making quick decisions, evaluating the quality of patient care, resolving conflicts and anticipating problems before they arise.