The Speech Therapy Assistant treats patients according to a treatment plan developed by the supervising Speech-Language Therapist (SLP) and approved by the attending physician.
This is a PRN Position
JOB SPECIFIC RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Ensures that any change in patient condition or unusual circumstances is reported immediately to the charge nurse.
• Demonstrates ability to apply Speech Therapy procedures.
• Provides age appropriate therapeutic interventions.
• Provides patient and family education on tasks and resources that will assist with continued functional independence.
• Maintains the cleanliness of various instruments and equipment per hospital policy.
• Demonstrates knowledge of speech therapy equipment utilized in different procedures.
• Utilizes resources appropriately and uses/maintains equipment in order to prolong working life.
• Completes all required documentation of patient care according to accepted regulatory, corporate and professional guidelines.
• Resolves, with assistance from the SLP or Director of Therapy Services, areas of concern or conflict with patients’ families and/or co-workers in a professional, proactive and courteous manner.
• Accepts direction from supervisors and other management team members in a positive and professional manner.
• Communicates with the SLP, Director of Therapy Services, physicians and other health team members regarding patient progress, problems and plans.
• Participates as necessary in patient care conferences.
• Participates in in-service training programs.
• Participates in discharge planning.
• Establish and instruct caregivers in patient specific maintenance programs.
• Secure necessary durable medical equipment and adaptive equipment for patients to facilitate independence.
• Provides clear, appropriate and effective instructions to technicians and direct-care staff as indicated.
• Meets all deadlines to ensure compliance with administrative requests not addressed elsewhere.
• Assists program director in managing and developing departmental budges.
• Performs other duties as assigned.
• Prefer six (6) months experience working in a hospital/rehabilitation setting.
• Completion of an accredited Bachelor’s degree from a program of study designed for Speech-Language Pathology Assistants (SLPA)
• Current licensure as a Speech Therapist Assistant in the state of Texas.
• Must be certified in AHA Healthcare BLS/CPR.
• Must maintain current certification in good standing during employment with this facility, or, obtain within 30 days of hire.